Toxic Ingestion

Pet Toxic Ingestion Prevention and Treatment at 

University Parkway Animal Hospital

A big part of caring for your animal friends is keeping toxic substances out of their reach and away from their curious noses. Sometimes, no matter how careful you are, your cats or dogs get into something they shouldn't. At University Parkway Animal Hospital, our Jackson veterinarian team takes toxic ingestion prevention extremely seriously. We're here to answer pet parent questions and provide emergency care in case something unexpected happens.

.

Signs of Toxic Ingestion

Pets really can tell you, or rather, show you, when they're not feeling well. Here are common signs of toxic ingestion in animals:

  • Drooling or foaming near the mouth
  • Nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea
  • Pale gums
  • Elevated heart rate
  • Rapid breathing
  • Altered consciousness
  • Difficulty walking
  • Excessive or unusual bruising or bleeding
  • Seizures or convulsions
  • Collapse

The exact signs you notice will vary based on what type of substance your pet ingested, how much of it she consumed, and other factors, including her overall health status. The bottom line is that if you think ANYTHING is off with your animal, don't hesitate. Call your local poison control or vet right away.

Common household items that can be toxic to animals include pet or human medications, certain foods (e.g., grapes, chocolate, onions, chives), and household cleaners.

What to Do If You Suspect Your Pet Is Suffering from Toxic Ingestion 

Here's what our Jackson veterinarian team recommends if you believe your pet has ingested something toxic:

  1. Stay calm and ensure your pet is safe. If you see any remaining toxic substance, keep your animal away from it.
  2. Call our Jackson veterinarian team immediately. We'll ask you questions about your situation and guide you through what to do next. Do not induce vomiting in your pet unless you are explicitly instructed to do so by a veterinarian! If you can't get through to us, call your local poison control center or try the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435.
  3. If you need to bring your pet in to see us, then drive safely and do what you can to keep your pet safe and calm, such as wrapping her gently in a towel.
  4. If it's safe and reasonable to do so, bring along a sample of the substance your animal ingested.

Do You Know What to Do in a Toxic Ingestion Incident?

It's never a wrong decision to call our Jackson vet team if you have concerns about toxic ingestion. Our team will get to work right away to diagnose and treat your pet's accidental poisoning. Contact University Parkway Animal Hospital at 707-579-8150 to schedule a pet wellness exam or to get immediate veterinary assistance.

Sign up using the form below or call (731) 661-0711 to make an appointment.

Office Hours

Our Regular Schedule

Monday:

7:30 am-5:30 pm

Tuesday:

7:30 am-12:00 pm

Wednesday:

7:30 am-5:30 pm

Thursday:

7:30 am-5:30 pm

Friday:

7:30 am-5:30 pm

Saturday:

Closed

Sunday:

Closed

Location

Find us on the map

Testimonials

What University Parkway Vet Clients Say

  • "Took my kitten there today (they are not closed, as the Facebook page says!), and loved it! Very kind, friendly staff who really give their time and attention to your pet! Highly recommend!"
    Kippi Wood Adams

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up for more articles